Kale is one of the most healthiest and nutritious plant foods in existence and is delicious!
Try these baked kale recipe!
2 lbs / 900 gr kale
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 ½ tablespoons arrowroot flour (or regular white flour)
1 cup / 250 ml stock (I used beef stock)
¾ cup grated Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons gluten-free breadcrumbs (or regular breadcrumbs)
1 teaspoon fine grain salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Steam and wash the kale.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add kale, cover, and cook for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Transfer to a colander, immediately fill the pot with cold water, transfer the kale back to the pot of cold water to stop the cooking. Drain again.
- Squeeze a small amount of kale in your hands to extract as much water as possible. Transfer to a chopping board and roughly chop it.
- Wipeout the pot and melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Stir in chopped kale and cook for two minutes or until all of the moisture has boiled off and the kale starts to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Lower the heat and sprinkle with flour. Stir for 2 minutes to cook the flour (the flour will stick to the pot, that’s okay!)
- Add the stock, ¼ cup at a time, stirring between each addition.
- Once all the liquid is added, simmer for 1 further minute. Finally stir in one tablespoons of butter.
- Remove from the heat and stir in ½ cup of the cheese into the kale
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and place a rack in the middle.
- Lightly grease a baking dish and pour the kale into it.
- In a small bowl mix remaining ¼ cup of cheese with breadcrumbs and sprinkle on the kale.
- Melt remaining tablespoon of butter and pour it over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden on top.
- Serve warm!